I’m still in London. Today, I spent:
- 1 hour waiting in the returns line at the Globe (successfully!)
- 3 hours watching its production of Much Ado About Nothing
- 1 hour drinking cider in The Cut, the bar at the Young Vic
- About a half second waiting in the returns line at the Old Vic (and proceeding to buy a ticket worth £47.50 for £12 – can’t hold a candle to Berlin student prices, but not bad)
- 3.5 hours watching Richard III there (big names, Kevin Spacey, Sam Mendes, the Bridge Project, yada yada)
That…is a lot of Shakespeare. Luckily Beatrice and Benedick were big charmers and Much Ado really flew by. And German deconstructions of Shakespeare are fun, but it was kind of refreshing to see a couple of straight-up productions – and to hear the real language again.